[OPLINTECH] Chromebooks & Android

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Tue Feb 18 14:24:51 EST 2014

Hi all,

   I was just reading a news story about this being the year of the Linux
desktop. Yeah I've been reading this for years too. This time there is a
twist, the author of the article thinks that ChromeOS and Android are the
Linux desktop OSes. While I had looked briefly at Chrome Books and thought
to myself......yeah, okay, kind of worthless if you're not connected to the
net. The article got me to thinking about their usage in the Library
setting.  After looking (and not finding) usb scanners that are Linux
compatible (and I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right places).  I have
a question for the multitudes....... Have any of you used a ChromeOS of
Android appliance in the Library setting (check-in, check-out, etc) with
success? I know there are several Koha and Evergreen Libraries that use
Debian, Ubuntu, and the like. I'm not really looking at that, just Chrome
and Android.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Will

Technology Supervisor