[OPLINTECH] Reaching out to everyone about PAC computers

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Jul 22 21:05:57 EDT 2014

Like Ken, I also use some "seriously old hardware"...usually old staff or
patron computers that have been cycled out and would otherwise have been
discarded (and if the library doesn't have any that are suitable, I usually
have a handful laying around the office that I've collected from other
libraries that I can pass along.) My own solution is also a thin client web
kiosk with nothing more than a uber-bare-bones ThinStation (
www.thinstation.org) linux distro running Chrome web browser.

I typically strip out (or at least disconnect) the hard/floppy/cd-rom
drives and set up to remote boot from the network via PXE. ThinStation is
pretty flexible in that you can set up the config that you want, be it a
browser-only kiosk using chrome or firefox, or a more featured desktop with
a wider selection of tools. I used to have them boot straight into rdesktop
(RDP...remote desktop) and then connect to a back-end Windows server user
profile. That works well, too.

Now-days, though, since the catalogs are all web-based, I simply boot
straight to the browser (no desktop) and point it straight at the library's
catalog. They can be used as walk-up Internet kiosks or catalog
only...whatever the library needs at whatever location. They're stateless,
so can be power-cycled at will without proper shutdown.

ThinStation is free open source. No licensing or memberships required. But
it can potentially have a little bit of a learning curve to really
effectively use it. Linux knowledge is helpful, but not necessarily
required. I'm a bit of a linux newb myself, but I managed fine.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*