[OPLINTECH] Coupons.com

Daniel Nixon nixonrd at oplin.org
Fri Jun 6 11:37:36 EDT 2014

I'm with Joe on this. There used to be a thing called "gator" something
or other that was just horrible. Anything having to do with buying stuff
that wants to install on your computer is spy/malware, as far as I'm
concerned (I know, means just about the entire Internet).
Librarians generally don't like to say "No" to patrons, no you can't do
this, no you can't have this. But they don't understand the technical
challenges involved as we try to preserve and protect public computers
so that everyone has a consistent experience. Plus, there's this whole
thing about what is a public library computer for? Users see the
computer as "theirs" during the time they're using it, just like
checking out a book for the time they have it, and I get that. But
modifying the computer for their particular needs should be approached
in the same way we'd react when someone returns a book all marked up,
dog-eared, underlined and highlighted for their particular needs but
basically trashed for the next person.

Daniel Nixon
Wilmington Public Library of Clinton County
268 N. South St., Wilmington, OH 45177
937-382-2417 x25