[OPLINTECH] Patrons bypassing computer sign-in system

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu May 29 23:49:00 EDT 2014

As a matter of course, on public computers, I do the following to prevent
anything other than the installed OS to run:
1)  Put an admin password on the CMOS/BIOS config so a pesky patron doesn't
get in there and change things.
2)  Change the boot sequence to boot from the hard drive first and all
other devices second.
3)  If required, specifically disable the ability to boot from removable
USB devices.

By doing the previous, you lock the computer into the OS/config of your
choice and prevent the patron from booting to their own portable device.
Typically, you can still boot to your own removable USB device or PXE
network boot by entering the admin BIOS password.

That lays the foundation for keeping your OS secure.

Beyond that, you can change group policies to prevent autorun from running
when a USB stick is plugged in. You can also change the policies in all
sorts of ways to prevent patrons from getting into places they shouldn't
ought to be. If you're desperate, you can also use GP to limit the programs
that will run in Windows to the specific executables of your choosing.
(Supposedly, anyway. I've never bothered to take things quite that far.)

You might also explore any lock-down options SAM gives you. There may very
well be an option somewhere in there to prevent executables from running
from USB drives, etc.

HTH,

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*