[OPLINTECH] An extremely realistic bad email

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Thu Sep 4 10:59:00 EDT 2014

Saw this in my inbox from 7/23/14 I had saved it for later but forgot.
So checked it over.

The usual clues I look for were covered.
 From line looks valid. Reasonable name and well known company.
To line is actually valid. (Well known and respected individual, I hear ) :-P
Hovering over the ...please send it to.. link shows that same exact address.
The attachment name seems reasonable.

So at a quick glance someone using ADP could easily be fooled.

A bit closer look does give a few hints it probably is a false email.

It says: statements are attached then says, print this label.
Sounds slightly off but still could be acceptable as people don't always write
right. Right?
But then it says: fill out the (printed) form and email. Slight problem there.

Unmonitored mailbox seems strange when there is a name attached that you would
normally reply to.
The address has the city after Boulevard and NJ on the next line.

More inspection shows the zip contains an executable but it also has a
reasonable name.

I think with a few mods this could be even more believable.
(aside to Dan Will. They are trying harder)

--
Email Signature

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library  <http://sunbury.cool-cat.org>