[OPLINTECH] Selecting a backup solution for my position

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Sep 8 16:22:48 EDT 2014

I totally second what Nathan just said.

Whenever I take on a new client I always plant myself off in an out-of-the
way corner somewhere with a network connection and take all of the
print-outs, post-it notes, and every other scrap of information I can get
the staff to dig up and use it to flesh build up my own notes. (Actually, I
do that paperwork in the office.) I then spend the entire day (sometimes
two and even three) poking around the network and discovering as much as I
can about all the bits and pieces that the staff DON'T have any information
on (or often even know is there) and how the devices/software interact with
each other. Even at a single-branch library with a modest network and good
documentation, there is never more than half of the picture documented in
any sort of way that is found and handed over to me. The rest, I'm on my
own to divine.

When I start with a new client, I always tell them that I'm going to do
this and not to worry; I'm not billing the library for the first few days!
I do this because I'm starting a very long-term relationship with the
client and I want to learn the details of their network. To Nathan's
comments, though, the point is:  even in a network that is well-documented,
there is always a lot of important information that is left in the cracks
that maybe even the netadmin doesn't know or think about or manage to get
in writing.

If it's one of those little bits that fell through the cracks that is
causing your network to fail soon after your IT guy was knocked-off, you
could be in for some rough times. But having the documentation *in a
thoughtful and useful format* and ready to hand to your random IT person is
the best investment in time you can make.

That being said. As an IT guy, I know it totally sucks to try to remember
to write down all the important things and keep them updated. As an IT
consultant, however, those that know me will attest to the fact that I have
a cool clipboard that almost never leaves my side. (All the time, I both
get asked where I found my clipboard and get razzed about carrying it
everywhere.) That clipboard contains everything I know about that network.
If I make a config change...it gets written down right then and there. When
I get back to the office, I eventually enter my updates into the database I
use to print out my notes and print out an updated set.

Those detailed tech notes are priceless.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*