[OPLINTECH] Calling all Gurus

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Sep 9 11:32:41 EDT 2014

Doing a packet trace with Wireshark running on the laptop directly
connected to the OPLIN router might give you a little more information on
exactly where the problem is. For instance, perhaps DNS isn't resolving the
address correctly.

Could try going directly to the IP address and see if that works.

FWIW, I just browsed to http://www.usps.com and the site switched itself to
https:   If there was caching involved upstream, that could be a concern to
me. http caching is ok, but HTTPS network traffic should be encrypted and
readable only between the computer and the web server. It isn't normally
cacheable. The only way to cache https is to effectively create a
man-in-the-middle attack. I doubt OPLIN would be doing https caching. So
the problem probably isn't http caching.

Bill just brought up the point (offlist) that if the IP is blacklisted, the
telnet connection test might still work ok but die later. He very well
could be right. At this point, his is the only suggestion that I can think
of that could still be plausible.

I guess the packet trace would tell us more.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*