[OPLINTECH] Calling all Gurus

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Sep 9 13:26:06 EDT 2014

Oblivious me. I missed the URL in Mindy's OP.

Telnet to port 80 is not a valid test for the https link. The https server
is running on port 443. Further, a simple telnet to port 443 won't work.
However, you can use OpenSSL to test the SSL web server on 443.

Here's a link describing the procedure.
http://www.bearfruit.org/2008/04/17/telnet-for-testing-ssl-https-websites/

If you don't have a linux machine handy or aren't familiar with linux,
there could be a way to do it in Windows, but here's an easy way to add
another tool to your toolbox:

1) Download and burn a knoppix linux boot image to a CD/DVD. (Explore. You
may come to regard this as a useful tool for partitioning hard drives
and/or accessing/recovering files on an NTFS (Windows) partition without
needing to boot Windows.)
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

2) Boot to knoppix on any old computer. It won't affect the Windows OS
installed there (unless you deliberately open the file manager and start
poking around in the Windows partitions on the hard drive.)

3) Open gedit ("Start menu" -> Accessories -> gedit

4) In gedit, type the following (exactly...case sensitive) and copy it to
the clipboard (ie. copy/paste). You'll probably notice this is part of
Mindy's problem URL:
GET
/CreateLabel.aspx?MRSID=313600&DisplayType=Customer&ShippingInfoIncluded=No

5) Now open a terminal session (ie. command prompt, DOS prompt, console
prompt, etc.):
"Start menu" -> Accessories -> LXTerminal

6) To establish your https session, type:
openssl s_client -connect returns.usps.com:443    <hit enter>

7) In 6), you should have seen the server's response and SSL/cert
information. After that displays, paste the GET request you copied to the
clipboard and hit <enter> twice. You should see the website data coming
through (many lines of code).

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*