[OPLINTECH] Fax Server idea / FYI

Tim Burns tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us
Tue Apr 7 09:49:40 EDT 2015

Dear Folks,

I just wanted to turn you on to a “box” I recently purchased/installed at home. After years of cutting the cord, and being landline free, I am intrigued by this gizmo that delivers analog phone capability — almost seamlessly over IP.

What I’m saying is, I plug the box into my home network, then plug my dusty old analog phone into the box. Voila!

Here’s the link to a spec sheet: http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi200DS.pdf
Here’s the link to the vendor:  http://obitalk.com/

My home internet is supplied over radio — supposed to be 6Mbps (http://amplex.net) — I live in rural America. I have a LAN at home, with several devices accessing (I have 3 teen+ children, wife, (all with data phones), other wifi, smartTV, smartBlueRay, NEST, … you get the idea) So far (10 days), am very impressed with the simplicity, value, and performance.

I use it with a GoogleVoice number.

I contemplate proposing it for free faxing here at the Library.

Tim

> On April 7th Shawn Whetzel wrote:
-          We have the capability to use them with Fax, but would need to install a fax server and it?s not in the budget any time soon. We use Fax24 for faxing in the public area and regular fax machines in the staff area. This system requires the patron use a CC over the phone or purchase a Fax card from our circ desk to use. Fax24 handles all pricing.

Tim Burns, Technologist
Birchard Public Library of Sandusky County Ohio
Department of Nuts and Bots
tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us<mailto:tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us>
telephone: (419) 334-7101 extension: 239
Libraries provides resources for learning and leisure, information services, meeting spaces, and programs for all ages that support, improve, and enrich life.