[OPLINTECH] Office 365

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Apr 7 10:34:49 EDT 2015

The libraries I set up with Office 365 are using E1 licenses. Not having
used the online versions of Excel and Word, I was hopeful that they could
be a replacement for local copies of Office, but the online versions seem
to be lacking for all but the most basic work. So it looks like my
libraries will still be using their local copies of Office for now. They
are using the Outlook web interface rather than local Outlook, however.

Personally, being pretty well rooted in the Google/Android/Google Apps for
Business ecosphere, I found the Microsoft Outlook web interface to be
rather clumsy and inefficient, but that could easily just be chalked up to
what I'm more familiar with.

Ultimately, though, for the small libraries I work with E1 seems to be a
very good solution and likely to only get better with time, as long as
Microsoft continues to be friendly to public libraries. Plus, they still
have the option to bump to E3 as need requires.

2 cents,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*