[OPLINTECH] RAID 5 vs. RAID 10 on a file server

Jim Lack J.Lack at rrpl.org
Wed Dec 2 10:43:10 EST 2015

I need to replace my current domain controller with a new server.  The server also acts as our main file server.  Our current server is set up with two drives, configured in a RAID one setup which houses just the OS (Windows Server 2008).  We have three additional drives set up with RAID 5 which houses all of our user files.  We also have an additional drive as a global hot spare.

I'm wrestling with the option of using RAID 10 on our new server (someone suggested it).  Do I sacrifice a couple of drives in RAID 10 for performance or should I just stick with the RAID 1 (OS) and RAID 5 configuration?  I'm just wondering if there will be a big benefit going with RAID 10.  There's a lot of smart people on this list and I value your opinions.  Let me know your thoughts

Thank You,

Jim Lack
Technology Support Manager
Rocky River Public Library