[OPLINTECH] Internet solutions for small branches

Joe knuevejo at oplin.org
Fri Jan 16 10:02:13 EST 2015

Amy, distance wise, how far are they from your main building or any
library controlled facility actually in Marion?  Also, what is the
geography like between Marion and the branches?  There is a kind of off
the wall idea I had looked into a year or two ago where you could do a
point to point wireless network connection...

Here is an example of the equipment that's suppose to do this, you'd
need one on each end:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=60398&rH=299

Now it states that it has a maximum range of about 16 miles. Assuming it
actually works, the two limitations that could be issues are a) you'd
need line of sight between your locations, and b) the maximum throughput
is at wireless N speeds, which I'm not sure in real life how close to
that you would get and not knowing the usage, whether a shared wireless
N connection would be enough for the facility.  If these actually worked
as advertised though, you could probably have one high speed connection
in Marion shared by all three facilities..

I never bothered to test this because if I were to share a connection
from Germantown to anywhere it would need to be at the top of a 100+
foot tower just the clear the hills and trees that surround the town..

If conditions are right, and the usage is low enough at each branch, it
might be worth the $320 to experiment and see if it's viable solution.

Best of luck.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director