[OPLINTECH] Internet solutions for small branches

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Jan 26 15:26:19 EST 2015

The network response times will vary depending on numerous factors.
Naturally, the closer you are to the device you're communicating with is a
factor. So is the amount of congestion at any particular hop along the
route.

A few milliseconds is good on a LAN. But over a WAN or VPN, you'll probably
see longer delays. For instance, picking a random VPN between my endpoint
and one of my library endpoints, I'm seeing round trip ICMP pings as low as
55ms and as high as 278ms in a short 20 packet sample. I'm using Time
Warner Business Class and the library is OPLIN. If both endpoints were on
the same network (ie both on Time Warner's network or both on OPLIN's
network), I'd expect to see results averaging on the faster side. Going
between providers, however, I wouldn't be surprised at greater variances
and slower round trip times on average.

Speed of the devices running the VPN as well as how the VPN itself is
configured could also play a small part in performance. In my case, both
VPN endpoints are actually running in virtual machines and I'm using the
best encryption methods available to me, so I no doubt pay a small penalty
for that at each end. Network appliances might have slightly better
performance, depending on their packet processing capabilities.

I think anecdotally, I probably see an average of 50-75ms between me and my
library endpoints, which is plenty sufficient for my needs.

Just for kicks, I just now pinged one of Google's content servers and see
as low as 21ms and as high as 291ms in another quick 20 packet sample.
Looks like mostly in the 20's with a few random peaks here and there. That
seems about right...

6 mins (minutes?) ping time and I'd probably just use a sneakernet. LOL! I
know that was a type-o, but still good for a smile.

Have a great day, everyone!

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*