[OPLINTECH] Computer Back Up Options

Joe Knueven joe at gtownlibrary.net
Tue Jul 28 14:02:58 EDT 2015

If it were me, one of the things I would think about is how much of this would you need to re-configure anyway if you had a catastrophic loss, and use that in sway my decision some.

For instance, are the terminals and their server new enough that if the system were a total loss that you would replace them with exactly the same makes/models/etc, such that you would want the complete system so that you can load your backups and get it up and running quickly.

If you suffered that manner of loss, would you be trying to rebuild the system just with the people you have currently, or would you be filing an insurance claim and would include in that claim the cost for outside help to rebuild the system?

Another question, how much custom configuration is there in your system?  Is it basically a stock thin client installation, or is there many tech hours that went into getting all of the configurations setup so that the patron and staff computers are exactly how you want them..

On the question of off-site backups, how much data are we talking?  Could you contemplate doing something less expensive off-line, where say all of the relevant data is backed up to portable hard drives or USB drives, if it’s a small enough data set, and stored off-site in bank deposit boxes, the Director and Fiscal Officer’s residences, or some other reasonably available off-site location.  That way you have your off-site backups for the most likely catastrophic events (a fire or direct tornado hit), but you’re not paying a large monthly fee to have it backed up far far away..

After all, the kind of loss where the library and these other locations would be totally destroyed is such an improbable and massive event such that these files would probably be the least of your worries…

Actually, getting creative about the question of off-site backups, you could make an arrangement with another library that is some distance from your locations where you each keep a small fire safe for the other and place your backup media in the fire safe at their library and they do the same at yours, and switch those out quarterly or semi-annually..

Basically, I think something offline makes more sense for a small library than paying a hefty monthly fee for an online service..

Best of luck and have a good day.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director