[OPLINTECH] Anyone else experiencing an increase in Windows Services crashes?

Greg Ricker RickerG at WTCPL.ORG
Tue Mar 3 09:37:47 EST 2015

Hi all,

We have seen a drastic increase in the number of windows services shutting down or freezing and we are at a loss as to what is causing them.

It started with our public computers. We would notice that frequently and randomly, we would lose LPTOne and PCReservation. Sometimes the computer would require booting up 4-5 times before the service would start properly and be stable. It wasn't all the computers, it would happen randomly. We initially thought there might be an issue in LPTOne/PCRes so we contacted Envisionware. Then we started getting SchoolVue crashes and then DeepFreeze's client began locking up on random computers. Then a short time later, we began having issues with staff computers. Now we keep losing print spoolers and have to go in and restart that service. It doesn't happen all the time and it's random machines.

I'm not even sure where to start looking for a cause. Is this a Windows Update that caused this issue or possibly a program we installed/upgraded or could this be a virus of some odd type that doesn't show up on the scans? We have been going into Administrative > Services and setting the services that crash on a regular basis to restart on first/second and subsequent failures. We never had to go into each computer and change these settings before.

Here is a list of the various software we use on our computers:
Symantic Endpoint Protection 12 (Staff/Public PCs)
Deep Freeze (Public PCs)
SchoolVue (Public/Handful of Staff PCs)
PC Reservation (Public PCs)
LPTOne (Public PCs)
Windows 7 w/ SP1
LogMein (Public/Staff PCs)
Express Metrics (Public/Staff PCs)
Updating computers with Ninite Pro in the mornings (Staff/Public PCs) - No client or anything like that, it gets pushed out from a console via active directory.

I guess I'm just hoping maybe someone else has had this issue and successfully resolved their issue or point me to some log files that would be helpful. Maybe someone remembers reading something about one of these programs we use causing this kind of issue that might lead to a resolution.

Thanks in advance for any tips/hints/experience anyone shares.

-----
Greg Ricker
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
Assistant Department Manager, Information Technology
444 Mahoning Ave. NW  Warren, Ohio 44483
rickerg at wtcpl.org<mailto:rickerg at wtcpl.org> | http://www.wtcpl.org/
330.399.8807 x144

[email_signature]