[OPLINTECH] Anyone else experiencing an increase in Windows Services crashes?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Mar 3 13:00:22 EST 2015

Crashes like that _are_ common with a malware infection. To rule that out,
take one of your problem computers and run a set of online virus scans on
it. You mentioned you have SEP installed, so you can skip the Symantec
scans. Do a Google search for "online virus scan" and hit up some of the
well-known names:  AVG, Kapersky, TrendMicro, bitdefender, eset, etc. and
run their on-line scans. You're not looking to install anything
permanently; just the online tools. Often, just relying on one scanner
isn't enough to ferret out everything that infects a computer. If you run
three or four online scans in addition to your resident anti-virus
software, and you show up clean, then you're probably ok and can rule that
out.

FWIW, also, the quality of Microsoft patches has been decreasing over the
last year or so, according to some security experts. I've only run into a
couple of minor things myself, but it seems to be a somewhat downward
trend. There have been several patches that were initially released, broke
something, and then were either soon retracted or soon(/eventually)
re-patched to fix the things the first patch broke. You could be running
into an issue where a patch has introduced instability into your
environment. (Good luck with that one!)

With nothing specific to go on, you're left with basic troubleshooting.
Check your Windows Event logs and find the first errors that occur after a
reboot. Those will be the most relevant. Google can help for anything you
find. Also try to figure out what's common among the problem computers. For
instance, if you're having the same problems on the staff computers, then
you can rule out Deep Freeze unless you have it installed on staff
computers too.

Additionally, assuming you don't make mistakes with Deep Freeze by
accidentally leaving it thawed with a patron using it, you can make some
more educated guesses. The problem has developed with DF enabled. So what's
changed? You probably didn't upgrade DF itself, so that's not it. You may
have auto-Windows Updates installed, so that's a candidate. LPTOne,
PCReservation, etc. probably haven't changed, so you can rule them out,
etc. My guess is that you'll have a very limited scope of changes between
when you didn't have the problem and when it started to become noticed. It
may be limited to as little as Symantec LiveUpdates and Windows Updates.
Between the two, it's unlikely to be Symantec.

Good luck!

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*