[OPLINTECH] 3D Printer

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon May 4 11:57:27 EDT 2015

I've been thinking about 3D printers in the libraries for a couple of years
now, but so far none of my libraries have decided to implement one yet.  :-(

But just a couple of days ago, I was listening to a podcast that was
talking about how more and more libraries are providing one for public use
(maker-spaces, etc.). Anyway, they mentioned that one of the
issues/concerns that libraries with the printers have had to address is the
issue of printing inappropriate or even illegal objects like adult-rated
items and gun components.

Another issue they mentioned, which you already addressed in you web page,
was simply the length of time required, depending on the object
size/complexity. Also the size restrictions, which you also mentioned.

Sadly, though, I suppose it's probably important to consider objects that
the library doesn't want printed and post a policy about it.
*Somebody's* probably
going to end up complaining at some point otherwise...

Two cents,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*