[OPLINTECH] What? A new Ohio Web Library page?

Stephen Hedges st.hedges at gmail.com
Thu May 14 10:06:21 EDT 2015

Let's start here: we've gotten a LOT of feedback.

Since February, OPLIN has been gathering feedback on changes to the Ohio
Web Library search page (ohioweblibrary.org). We started with the OPLIN
Content Advisory Committee, then gathered comments at OLC Chapter
Conferences. (And BTW, special thanks to everyone who offered comments!)
Then last month, we sponsored some special awards at Ohio History Day and
got to see the process papers submitted with many of the student projects,
which gave us good insight into how students use public libraries when they
are doing research.

All of this feedback has convinced us to try some changes to the way we
present the Ohio Web Library databases.

First, *we encourage libraries to grab links *listed at
http://oplin.org/content/how-link-oplin-databases and embed them in your
local "research resources" page (or whatever you call it).

   - Greene County does this rather nicely, for example:
   http://greenelibrary.info/research.
   - OPLIN will keep our links maintained so they continue to work and let
   users into the databases, even if the vendor makes changes to their target
   URLs.

*We think it's easier for everyone if all available databases are listed in
one place.*

Second, for people not using a library website, *w**e have built a very
different Ohio Web Library page*, which you can preview at
http://dev.ohioweblibrary.org before it goes live on *July 6*.

   - This page shifts our approach from federated searching to browsing
   groups of reference resources available through Ohio Web Library .
   - In some categories, where it makes sense and is possible, we still
   provide a search box.

*We'll share the reasons for the shift from searching to browsing in a
follow-up message. Stay tuned...*

--
Stephen Hedges, Director
2323 W. Fifth Ave, Suite 130, Columbus, OH 43204