[OPLINTECH] Weird USB/Word Doc printing issue

Jan Berger janberger at lebanonlibrary.org
Thu Oct 22 11:11:41 EDT 2015

Hello all,

Trying to get a better plan of attack for an issue here.

We run Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 on our public access computers. We
installed Windows updates on Tuesday and since then have been experiencing a
very singular issue: Word documents from USB drives do not print. The patron
sees the text of their document, but while the correct number of pages
'print' the text does not.

We have no issues with other formats such as pdf files or text files. Word
documents downloaded from email print out just fine.

However, Word documents from USBs do not. My workaround, for now, is to save
the Word doc as a plain text file; open the text file and copy the contents;
open a new Word doc, paste the contents, save and print. The formatting
seems to stay with the content through all of the workaround.

I have opened the Device Manager to see if any drivers need to be updated,
but all are fine.

Any suggestions? Is Word just not recognizing the text as text? I have never
encountered this before.

Jan M. Berger

IT Coordinator

Lebanon Public Library

513.932.2665

www.lebanonlibrary.org <http://www.lebanonlibrary.org/>

I have a new email address. Please update my information in your contacts.