[OPLINTECH] WiFi Counting Using SonicWall Captive Portal

Kathryn Green kgreen at doverlibrary.org
Tue Sep 15 15:02:18 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to capture the number of WiFi users at our
library. We recently upgraded our firewall/router to a SonicWall, which has
a captive portal capability. I have seen where this can be used to setup an
authentication page for users, and I was wondering if anyone out there has
had luck using this to get a user count. Neither the SonicWall nor our APs
have a built-in counting log, although I can see users currently logged in.
Any advice or experience with this? What solutions have other libraries
been using that don't require a hardware change to get this statistic?

Thanks for the input!

Kathryn
Kathryn Green, MLIS
Technology Manager