[OPLINTECH] NEC Telephone Systems

Karl Jendretzky karl at oplin.ohio.gov
Fri Aug 12 08:38:03 EDT 2016

The OPLIN office uses a SIP trunk from TWC with a Grandstream UCM6102 PBX.

TWC delivers their SIP trunks with the same network as their eLine Ethernet
circuits, so they'd hand the service off on a free port on your existing
TWC hardware. Having your VOIP traffic separate from your internet traffic
removes the need for QOS, and makes it less likely you'll lose your phones
and internet at the same time. Our trunk supports 6 concurrent calls for
$93/month.

The Grandstream PBX is an appliance with the Asterisk open source project
at its core, and a pretty web interface for management. The appliances
themselves are super cheap (~$250) so we bought two and leapfrog them into
production whenever a patch is released from Grandstream. The UCM6102 is
the smallest one they sell, but in theory it's supposed to be able to
handle 500 endpoints with 60 concurrent calls. We only use a subset of the
available features, but some of the neater ones are..

-a tiered call queue for the support number
-voicemails emailed to users
-fax pickup on every extension
-a conference bridge
-multiple endpoint registration for the same extension (transferring a call
to Karl rings 3 phones in two buildings)

We've had this setup in place for a year with basically zero issues. For
desk phones we use Grandstream GXP2130, Grandstream GS-DP715 cordless
phones at our homes, and the Zoiper app for smartphones.

Karl Jendretzky
IT Manager - Ohio Public Library Information Network
(614) 728-1515karl at oplin.ohio.gov