[OPLINTECH] Disaster Recovery plan

Fred Miller Jr fmiller at auglaizelibraries.org
Tue Jan 5 16:37:30 EST 2016

Wanted to reach out to some people with a little more experience than I have when trying to implement a disaster recovery option for your library. Currently we just back up our virtual servers to a NAS box then off load them back to USB portable drives that get switched out once a week with an offsite location. Wondered if anyone could recommend what they have tried and what has worked? Some things I have thought about are:

1.       Letting a 3rd party manage the disaster recovery backup, but then I worry about security issues (Cloud Management???)

2.       Having two servers at our location with one server being the main and the other being the backup in case of hardware failure
My main goal is to have something in place where downtime is minimal until the main server is back up and running. Currently we just have one physical server using XenServer using XenCenter to house our virtual machines. This is my first go around with setting something up like this. My budget is limited.

Thanks again in advance for all the help and replies,

Fred Miller Jr.
IT Service Manager
Auglaize County Public District Library System
203 S. Perry St.
Wapakoneta, OH 45895
Ph: 419-738-2921
Fax: 419-738-5168