[OPLINTECH] Disaster Recovery (&backups)

Bob Neeper neeperro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 09:57:44 EST 2016

Some of our main concern are probably:
1) Circulation
2) Finance
3) Websites and documents
4) Patron & Staff PC's
5) Misc h/w

1 facility 17 ~ 20 staff about 40 PC's, 10 or so laptops

Not the best solution but...

**Circulation
SCL , Joe and others in COOL, run Evergreen ILS so it's almost 'No Worries' as
it's housed & maintained in Georgia.
We can take any Windows PC, install a client and be up and running fairly quickly.
Our assistant director even catalogs from home on occasion using a laptop.
So, if the media to lend (and internet) is available, we can circulate quickly.

**Finance
Treasurer has a stand a lone PC provide by the State
We would work with them to get a new PC with correct s/w.
Then upload current data from DVD
Bottleneck is if the  DVD's are not available for some reason.

**Websites and documents
VMware Host used for Firewall, Widows 2008, Thin Client Server and (3) OPENsuse
website servers, etc.

Without getting too deep, we have a current one, an older VMware server and new
on order.
The virtual PC's are saved multiple places.
Onsite in 2 regular PC's and offsite with (3) LaCie Portable USB Hard Drives
LaCie also used for Friday full and daily incremental backups of Windows 2008 data
It would be better to have a host h/w offsite but these are not critical to the
main operation.

With Level9's help we could restore the old host or probably come up with new
h/w if a total loss.

**Patron & Staff PC's
Probably a quick run to a PC store for 30 (+ -) PC systems and DeepFreeze s/w

**Misc h/w
Another store run for switches, cables etc.
Work with OPLIN and TWC for internet access

And so forth...

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
(Retired Toledo Scale Engineer & Library Computer Guy)

Volunteering at:
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074