[OPLINTECH] Patron Privacy

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Jan 8 16:46:59 EST 2016

On patron computers, I have a scheduled task that auto reboots the computer
if it is logged in and has been idle for about 10 minutes. For several
years now, I've been pretty much exclusively using SSDs in all
workstations, so reboots are very quick (as is over all performance).

For patrons that simply get up and walk away when done (majority of
patrons, even though it's suggested otherwise), the computers reboot and DF
cleans them up unless another patron immediately walks up and starts using
it.

Once rebooted, the computer sits at what is essentially the Windows login
prompt, although the only thing a patron sees is an "OK" button and a
message stating that by pressing OK, the patron is agreeing to the
library's AUP. When the patron presses "OK", Windows logs in and a clean
desktop is presented.

Patrons that are concerned about security often ask staff about it and are
specifically told/reminded to reboot when they're done with their session
for maximum safety. Some do, some don't. "You can lead a horse to water..."

If a leaving patron reboots correctly, the computer can be just about half
ready for the next patron to click "OK" by the time the next patron gets
settled in.

During peak periods, sometimes the sessions get double-teamed and it's left
to the browser to handle the security (assuming the patron bothered to
close the browser).

If you have slow computers and reboot between sessions, perhaps you could
offer them a book while they wait for their YouTube or Agar.io fix.   ;-)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*