[OPLINTECH] Looking for AiO computer for Self-Checkout

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Jan 21 13:48:19 EST 2016

I've been slowly working my way towards AIO computers myself over the
years, but generally find the price/performance ratio to be too far off
from what I want in the desktop computers. I either pay more to get the
performance I want or pay what I want and get less performance. So I've
been slowly working my way down in motherboard and chassis size over the
years. I've been using the MiniITX form factor for the last few years.

Now, Intel seems to quite nearly have my perfect solution in the Intel NUC.
I can choose (or independently repair/replace) my LCD display, my RAM, and
my storage. Plus, the device is small enough to mount onto the back of
pretty much any LCD display using the VESA mounts.

Intel has slowly been ratcheting up the CPU performance since they debuted
the NUC. They've recently released the NUC6I5SY series with a Core I5 6260Y
1.8GHz (2.9GHz max Turbo Speed) 6th generation Dual Core CPU, which puts it
really close to the performance I like to see in my desktops.

It's ironic that you posted this question right now because at this very
moment I'm putting together an order to get two of them with 8GB RAM and
probably ~180GB SSD. I want to see how they do. If they're ok, I'd like to
start using them as staff and patron computers. I've used a previous
generation of the NUC, but the performance wasn't really good enough for
what I like in a staff/patron computer. Worked fine to run a digital
display, though, which is what I got it for in the first place.

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*