[OPLINTECH] Public Workstation Upgrade

Tim Burns tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us
Thu Jul 14 08:27:25 EDT 2016

Dear Tech folks,

Please help “brainstorm” a configuration for the public workstations.

While I’m convinced that the future will not be anything like our current patron offering (witness most patrons spending their technology dollar$ on todays smartphone/tablet, the popularity of laptops as home computer selection, schools switching to 1:1 using Chromebooks, and more “cloud” - based computing than ever.) desktops are what our staff are used to. Not rock the boat today.

I’m looking for performance first. Performance comes from RAM, and CPU. Our new configuration should be 8GB of RAM, and quad-core (Intel i5 or better) processing/CPU. I use CPU Benchmarks to compare between various offerings of CPU. This levels the playing field by describing what a processor can do - given a specific task on similarly configured system. Here’s the site I’m looking at for comparison: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html Generally, I want processing rating of 7000 or better as a starting point.

This machine is a starting point: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Acer-Veriton-Z4820G-Wub-Core-i5-6500-3.2-GHz-8-GB-500-GB-LED-23.8in/4076440.aspx?enkwrd=4076440&pfm=srh

I’d prefer SSD drive (solid state) as there is a tremendous performance boost - and we don’t require a lot of storage on the public system. This model, being an all-in-one, includes larger (23+”) display and camera. Camera would be helpful as an image or document scanner alternative- would be available at each station.

Tim Burns
Birchard Public Library of Sandusky County Ohio