[OPLINTECH] Why printing a check, a copy of a check (Or certain $$$) may fail on certain devices and a work a round.

Bob Neeper neeperro at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:10:29 EDT 2016

Just walked in to the library to return some books, when a staff member asked if
I had any ideas how to copy a copy of a check.
She was using a Ricoh copier/scanner/printer/faxer/coffee maker & so forth,
without any luck.
Even tried it on a second device without success.

Sometimes it would print a full black page, or partially black.
Interesting as the original had been copied somewhere and it was okay.

I suggested she try the scanner setting to email it to herself.
That turned out an all pink background in the email with hard to read printing.

Then suggested scanning it with the old Epson scanner attached to a PC.
She did, then printed it to another printer, which worked.

Figuring it was an anti copy security, Google and found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

Interestingly, the 5 dots showed on the scanned copy so they were on the
original copy and also the check.
And even though a copy, it still inhibited the printing.

As many times you may want to keep a copy of a check, your fall back is an old
scanner or maybe a camera.
And now you also know how to add protection to your stuff.

Now.... on to genealogy.

--
R. W. (Bob) Neeper
(Retired Toledo Scale Engineer & Library Computer Guy)
neeperro at gmail.com

Doing Genealogy at:
Community Library
Sunbury, Ohio