[OPLINTECH] Thin Clients?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Jun 22 12:50:33 EDT 2016

I think I was just schooled! LOL!

You're right, Ed. Nice catch! I only listed the libraries that use thin
clients...but I didn't clarify that.

To your other points, I actually prefer the opposite approach to
responding. I almost always reply publicly. It invites lively conversation,
other opinions, and often leads to great ideas. This thread is a case in
point. I ALMOST replied off-list, but I'm glad I didn't. Had I replied
off-list, There's an excellent chance I'd have never known that I didn't
clarify myself on that list of libraries. I also wouldn't have had the
chance to respond to your other comment:

Personally, I like to use thin clients as OPAC computers or stand-alone
short-use walk-up internet access stations. Most of the libraries I work
with are small and have very limited budgets, but still have the exact same
technology needs as larger libraries. Thin clients are a very, very low
cost way to repurpose ancient computers. The libraries like them because
there is literally ZERO maintenance on them. They can run for years
completely untouched. For smaller libraries, they can be hugely beneficial.
(The OP's original question was simply how many libraries use thin clients,
so I didn't go into all that in my original response. But I'm glad you said
what you said. I've been working in my own little world for so long that
I'm always afraid that I've got blinders on! Hearing other people's point
of view is invaluable.)

2 cents,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*