[OPLINTECH] Public Internet computer session length?

Joe Knueven joe at gtownlibrary.net
Wed Nov 30 10:00:23 EST 2016

If you’re going to switch from sessions to a count of time, I would prefer minutes to hours.  The bad part, from what I see, is that if this change is made, it will be to ask us to count minutes/hours and sessions.  The benefit to sessions is that they can be roughly translated into “people served” by a library, so that in aggregate IMLS or whoever can say that “public libraries provided computers to XX people last year/month/decade/etc”.  If you have only minutes, you end up with a less humanized and more abstract statistic in terms of arguing the value of libraries.

After all, if one kid comes to my library for 8 or 9 hours using the computer in one or two marathon sessions, is his/her use more valuable than the 5-10 adults who come through and also use a computer, but for much shorter time periods?

Have a good day.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director