[OPLINTECH] Bit Torrent traffic managment

Joe Knueven joe at gtownlibrary.net
Mon Oct 17 12:48:16 EDT 2016

I want to give a +1 to Chad’s statements on managing torrent traffic.  I’d take the approach of limiting per device bandwidth (my firewall has this functionality built-in for downloads under the name “Download throttling”.. when I’ve told some staff about this, their eyes light up as if contemplating beating some especially obnoxious individual with a riding crop..).

I like the idea of barring MAC addresses to the extent that you can identify the individual devices as well.  One caveat I’d give on Chad’s suggestion of limiting to half or quarter of your bandwidth, if your connection is strong enough and you have quiet enough slow periods, you might find that you’d need to set the limits much lower to encourage the offending individuals to move along.

For instance, if I set per device limits here to 25% of our connection, the public would find during slow periods that our bandwidth is still at least twice as fast as what they’d be able to acquire at any kind of reasonable price for their homes, especially for the folks who are a couple of miles out into the country.

Best of luck.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director