[OPLINTECH] Windows 10 for public computers

Chad Neeper via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Tue Aug 15 13:06:32 EDT 2017

Dan,

For my part, I've reluctantly "upgraded" only a couple of libraries to
Win10 so far. I actually like Win10 just fine on my own computer and on
stand-alone computers. I can deal with it for staff computers, since
they're only lightly managed and don't have any software that integrates
deeply into the OS like Deep Freeze or Cassie. But I absolutely despise
being forced into it for patron computers. Microsoft's Windows As A Service
policy is too aggressive for computers that need to maintain a constant
level of functionality and consistency. I don't WANT the computers to
change. Security patches and bug fixes are good, but constant feature and
OS changes is extremely difficult to deal with. I'm constantly on edge and
aware that Deep Freeze could go bonkers with any OS change that Microsoft
decides randomly to roll out. We had several tastes of incompatibilities
with DF and Win8.x a few years ago, with devastating results and I've been
on edge ever since. That's much worse with Win10.

The best answer I've been able to come up with so far is to employ WSUS and
tightly manage or even stop the updates going to the computers with
deeply-seated software like Deep Freeze and/or Cassie. That way, at least,
once you get a stable Win10 configuration, you can be reasonably sure that
it'll stay working and you can apply updates after first vetting them on a
test computer that duplicates the production environment.

Rolling/frequent updates are generally good from a security perspective.
But from a reliability and management perspective, having constant OS and
feature changes is a real pain in the butt, especially when you're dealing
with third-party applications that could be broken with any random update.
For libraries, Windows 7 was and still is the perfect Windows platform,
IMHO.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview

Above is a link to an article that describes some of the options for
dealing with change. For instance, you have the option to use a Long Term
Services Branch for mission critical (non-changing) computers. I've not dug
into that myself, but maybe it's an option for some libraries.

Chad

**  My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect the
company I work for.  Oh wait...yes they do...I own the company!  **

740-548-8070 <(740)%20548-8070> (voice)
866-214-6607 <(866)%20214-6607> (fax)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*