[OPLINTECH] Secure wifi with password in the SSID

Ken Butler via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Thu Jul 20 17:20:27 EDT 2017

I did a little more research on this, as it really piqued my interest. I
think what you are looking for is a "private pre-shared key", which offers
the same type of encryption you would get from a regular pre-shared key,
but each device gets it's own unique key.

The only company I've seen that has an option like this that would work in
a public, unattended wifi setting is Aerohive. The videos on their website
located here <http://www.aerohive.com/solutions/technology/ppsk.html> were
very helpful in explaining how it all works. From what I understand, a
patron would need to self-register their device on the wireless network,
creating their own unique pre-shared key. The wireless network would then
associate that device with that unique pre-shared key, and it would
effectively have it's own private encryption.

If I'm understanding it correctly, the usage scenario would go like this:

   1. Patron connects to wifi with their mobile device and is prompted to
   create their own wireless access key during self registration - a password
   basically.
   2. Wireless network then associates that key with that device, and
   grants encrypted access after that device authenticates with the private
   key, now and for as long as key is valid (I believe you can control the
   length of time that a key is valid for, or make it indefinite).

I haven't used this technology myself, but I've heard good things about
Aerohive. It's certainly an interesting problem!

hcotech at holmeslib.org