[OPLINTECH] productivity software on public workstations

Tim Burns via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Thu Jun 1 12:15:11 EDT 2017

I try to direct folks to http://drive.google.com for word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, and drawing. Most people are familiar with Google for searching.

All are compatible with .doc(x), .xls(x), etc. with minor drawbacks. (No simple mail merge is the only one I can think of right now.)

We also offer classes to help with Google Calendar, Google Mail (aka gmail), Google Photo stuff, Google Voice (now Hangouts).

My thought is, it’s a lot cheaper for patrons to cough up $0 to stay up to date with the latest software, and be able to access their documents from anywhere they can get on The Internet.

Never been happy with MS. Even less so with the switch to subscription software. I suggested they sell a perpetual license tied to a share of their stock.

We do have recent version of MS Office on public machines.

Tim Burns
Birchard Public Library of Sandusky County Ohio

  1. Public Computers & Office (Larry Fischer via OPLINTECH)

Who is still using Microsoft Office on public computers?
Who has switched to only providing Open Office?

Larry Fischer
lfischer at gcpl.lib.oh.us<mailto:lfischer at gcpl.lib.oh.us>