[OPLINTECH] ISO: USB adapters with LPT1 based Epson TM receipt printers

Ken Butler via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Thu Mar 2 13:53:52 EST 2017

I've never had any luck getting USB to parallel adapter cords to work with
Epson TM printers, and I did try several different brands of cord. I've
been able to use PCI expansion cards that add a parallel port with varying
degrees of success, but they can be finicky. Sometimes the receipt printers
attached to the expansion cards randomly stop receiving print jobs, and
I've had to remove the printer and reinstall the driver quite a few times.
I've ended up spending hours fiddling with the settings / printer drivers
and expansion card drivers, and then suddenly they would just start working
for no real reason.

In the end, I decided to upgrade most of our old Epson TM-T88 III, IV, and
V's with the Epson TM-T20II. The T20II is almost identical, but costs far
less than the T88 line. I just replaced one of the last T88's that we still
had in service, and several of our staff members have commented on how much
faster the T20 is, although to it's credit, the T88V in question was
probably 10+ years old.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Technology Coordinator via OPLINTECH <
oplintech at lists.oplin.org> wrote:

> Has anyone had success using a particular brand of LPT1 to USB adapter
> with the Epson TM receipt printers?
>
> We are looking to update our computers, parallel ports are less common on
> computers now and I am looking for the least expensive option to keep using
> our existing receipt printers with newer equipment.
>
> Thank you,
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Sanzotta
> Technology Coordinator
> Ashtabula County District Library
> 4335 Park Ave.
> Ashtabula, Ohio  44004
>
> “Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian can bring you back
> the right one.” ― Neil Gaiman
> <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1221698.Neil_Gaiman>

Ken Butler
hcotech at holmeslib.org