[OPLINTECH] Question about public computers at your libraries

Joe Knueven via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Tue Mar 21 12:05:44 EDT 2017

I started putting SSDs in most systems back in 2013, when I rolled out SSDs on all public computers.  I found that 60ish GB was more than enough space for Windows 7 when it is being reset constantly by a Deep Freeze type program and seems to be enough space for Windows 10 as well, though I've started getting 120ishGB drives in the last year or two.  Within the next couple of months we'll get SSDs in all staff workstations as part of a mid-cycle refresh.

Even on something like a camera server that requires MS Windows, I use an SSD for the C: drive and a large spinning disc or array for the storage.

It definitely speeds things up, and if you buy at least decent quality SSDs, I've seen a relatively low failure rate and good longevity.  (a pair of very small cheap ones I bought back between 2009-2011 for OPACs finally failed in the last year or so).

It makes the biggest difference I've seen of any component in terms of improving performance.  If it wasn't for the disruption factor, I would have replaced our staff PC hard drives a couple of years ago..

Have a good day.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director