[OPLINTECH] DeepFreeze not deleting temp files?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Nov 21 17:12:03 EST 2017

Lynne,

DF is very good at its job, so it shouldn't be allowing things like that
through the cracks. My guess is that whoever set it up has set up a thaw
space for certain things (Windows Updates or user profiles, for instance)
to remain persistent across reboots. If you have Deep Freeze Enterprise (or
Cloud), you can check the Enterprise Console to perhaps see how they're
currently configured and/or adjust them. Point your new IT person towards
the Enterprise Console (and the DF manual if (s)he doesn't have any prior
experience with DF.)

Another possibility is that there is an automated maintenance window
scheduled on a regular basis, possibly even nightly. During the maintenance
window, the computers could be thawing themselves, checking for and
installing updates, then refreezing. This could cause a growth in storage
usage. But again...check the configuration to see if this is occurring.

Improper *use* of DF could potentially also be causing you some issues.
After switching from "thawed" to "frozen" and vice versa, a reboot is
required for the change to take effect. If, for example, a computer is
currently thawed and you mark it as frozen within the DF interface but
don't reboot it, any changes you make will still be persistent until you've
actually rebooted the computer. So changes can be inadvertently retained in
this way. But unless this is happening on a regular basis, I doubt it's the
cause of your temp files constantly growing. But it is worth noting.

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*