[OPLINTECH] Troubleshooting a completely dead PC

Bob Neeper neeperro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 10:12:03 EST 2018

For the very few who might benefit.      ( Or maybe enjoy a story ? )

Was in my favorite library a few weeks ago doing genealogy ( as there is 100mb
up/down and  Ancestry.com).

A staffer asked if I'd take a quick look at a PC that shows the security
cameras, as it wasn't on and LCD is blank.
Sure enough, no display and it wouldn't boot, so they used another.

PC sticker said Level 9 Networks dated 4/2011
Chad does build them to last, as about every desktop here seems from that era.

Almost suggested they call him anyway, except he is in the process of a major
upgrade for the library and it will be replaced.
And he might question a warranty request.    4 or 5 years maybe.... but 7 ?

Had some free time and thought I'd draw on my vast Toledo Scale engineering/
installation /troubleshooting background and dig a little deeper.
Besides it's already broke, what's to lose ?

Some good rules/tips to follow:
  First and foremost,     If it ain't broke don't "fix" it.
  Think about the problem before just jumping in.
  Try simple solutions first.
  When phone troubleshooting, never, ever tell the person what they should
expect to see, just ask what they do see.

Okay....
Using another mouse, k/b and LCD
PC Power light comes on, fan runs, so PS is probably okay.
Num Lock key does NOT cause light to flash, and can't get to BIOS.
Could be PS anyway, bad mother board, or who knows what.

Opened the PC.
No burnt smell, and mother board fan runs. So PS may really be okay.
Not much dust for the years, but blew it out anyway. Also from inside PS.
BTW    Anther tip.    Point the can away from you. (Yes, I did)

Unplugged hard drive but still no BIOS boot.

Re-seated RAM, re-connected HD and      SUCCESS !

A SIMPLE SOLUTION    for about 10 minutes work
Did also run a long memory test while back looking for my ancestors.

Then a few days ago a grandson had just got a new battery for a laptop and then
it had the same problem.
It was an old Dell Latitude D520 he got for free a month ago.

Flipped it over took, took off the memory cover, but surprise. There wasn't any
RAM in sight.
Huh? It was running just a few days ago, so where did it go?
Oh well, changed the 3v battery as it was down to 2v.
Still not booting

Another tip.    When all else fails, read the manual.
A fellow TS engineer / tech support person (now deceased) used to say RTFM.
He actually once told a scale field tech to go out to the truck, get the manual,
read it and call back.
Then he hung up on him.

Anyway. Found a service manual on line.   Ah !  2 ram slots. Main is on the
mother board.
Okay. Needed to pry here, pop up there.
Remove these screws, slide and pop up the k/b and there's the main ram.

Re-seated that RAM, pushed and pulled, re-screwed and snapped and..   " Bob's
your uncle! "

Forgot one tip.  Remember past troubleshooting results.

BTW   My 20th great grandfather is Edward Plantagenet    AKA King Edward III

--
R. W. (Bob) Neeper
(Retired Toledo Scale Engineer & Library Computer Guy)
neeperro at gmail.com

Doing Genealogy at:
Community Library
Sunbury, Ohio