[OPLINTECH] Who's On My Wifi and devices owned by staff and the library

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Jul 5 18:30:27 EDT 2018

Phil,

I don't know the answer here, but did you try emailing/contacting WOMWifi
directly? They're consistently very responsive. (Or at least, they have
been with us so far.)

As for apples to apples, that stat is really completely useless for
comparison purposes when comparing against other libraries. The only way it
could be an accurate comparison is if you were ONLY comparing your stat
against other libraries that collect the stat in the exact same way and
with the exact same exclusions. So it's really only useful for comparing
against yourself to determine your own trends...at least back to the point
where you started collecting the stat in this particular way (presumably
via WOMWiFi). Any other library that is collecting their wireless use
statistics will skew the results widely depending on their own personal
interpretation of the requirements for the stat.

(Sorry...this has been a pet peeve of mine ever since this became a
reporting requirement. Since it has been a requirement, this one particular
line item has needlessly cost thousands of dollars for the small libraries
I work with, who can little afford it. And it STILL remains a useless
statistic for comparison purposes and an enforced cost to libraries. But I
understand that this is far from unique when it comes to the state
reporting requirements. So that's a....comfort?)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*