[OPLINTECH] DeepFreeze setting

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Sep 11 17:05:07 EDT 2018

I haven't specifically tried this setting in DF myself, but quite a few
years ago I set up event log forwarding and have had it set up for a long
time on a few library servers. It was pretty easy to set up, always worked
well, and got around the loss of logs caused by Deep Freeze. Ultimately,
however, I've mostly discovered that...I just don't really care all that
much about the frozen computers.   ;-)  That being said, I do look at them
every once in a (couple of) blue moon(s). When I'm bored and have nothing
else to do. Which pretty much never happens.

FWIW, the excursion in forwarding Windows Event Logs to the library's local
Windows Server got me to thinking about centralized logging and I briefly
explored the idea of forwarding the local logs to my own Windows Server for
log aggregation across my libraries. (This was years ago.) I didn't do
that, but it did lead me to setting up a syslog server, which is more
robust at collecting not only Windows Server events, but also logs from
*nix and other networked devices like network switches, printers, etc. I
didn't bother collecting logs from workstations, however, focusing instead
on servers and other important network devices instead. With the right
level of log parsing, and configured (email) alerts, it can be a useful
tool for monitoring for anomalies, problems, and potential problems. These
days, I'm into Zabbix (FOSS) for remote 24/7 network monitoring of the
important stuff at my libraries. The local important network devices all
report to a local Zabbix proxy, which in turn reports to my Zabbix server.
Still fleshing out details, but it works well where I've got it set up so
far. I'll eventually roll it out to all of my libraries as the
opportunities present themselves. Automation is everything!

Two cents (well, maybe four. Or, zero I guess, if nobody cares.)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*