[OPLINTECH] Windows 10 update issues

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Sep 24 09:57:29 EDT 2018

Kevin,

I didn't get a chance to respond last week, but if you're still having
problems with Windows Update, I've had success over the years with doing a
full reset on the Windows Update subsystem. Here's a Microsoft document
describing how to do it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components
We do it enough that I threw the commands into a batch file and run it that
way to prevent needing to manually type all the necessary commands. The
Microsoft instructions has you "try A, and if that doesn't work, try B, and
if that doesn't work, try C...". But in my experience A, B, C, etc doesn't
ever work when repairing WU and I end up doing all of the steps. So in my
own script, I just go nuclear do all of the commands every time and haven't
looked back. I've only ever had one (Windows 7) computer that was hosed
enough that resetting WU in this manner wouldn't fix it.

I wasn't going to clutter up this post with code, but when I glanced at it,
it looked fairly short. So here's the bulk of the "ResetWindowsUpdate.cmd"
batch file I wrote a few years ago. Note:  My original script had a minor
dependency on another batch file I wrote that checks for elevated
privileges. I just now edited that code out of this script but haven't
tested my changes. I'm 99.99% certain that this will run correctly as-is,
but if it doesn't, you may need to make a minor tweak somewhere. Just be
sure to run in an elevated command prompt because the script will no longer
check for it.

As with anything, use at your own risk and YMMV!

HTH,
Chad

@echo off
Goto Start
ResetWindowsUpdate.cmd
By: Level 9 Networks
 2016-08-29

This batch script will completely reset the Windows Update components on the
local Windows computer.

History:
2016-08-29 - Added DISM command to remove service pack files and increase
free disk space.
2015-09-04 - Original release.
:Start
echo This script will reset Windows Update components.
echo.
choice /m "Do you wish to continue?"
if "%errorlevel%" == "2" goto END

echo.
echo.
echo *** Stopping Windows Update services...
for %%f in (bits wuauserv appidsvc cryptsvc) do net stop %%f

echo.
echo.
echo *** Deleting Windows Update cached files...
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application
Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
RD /s /q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
RD /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2

echo.
echo.
echo *** Resetting BITS service and Windows Update service to the default
security descriptor...
sc.exe sdset bits
D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv
D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

echo.
echo.
echo *** Registering Windows Update services...
for %%f in (urlmon.dll mshtml.dll shdocvw.dll browseui.dll jscript.dll
vbscript.dll scrrun.dll msxml.dll msxml3.dll msxml6.dll actxprxy.dll
softpub.dll wintrust.dll dssenh.dll rsaenh.dll gpkcsp.dll sccbase.dll
slbcsp.dll cryptdlg.dll oleaut32.dll ole32.dll shell32.dll initpki.dll
wuapi.dll wuaueng.dll wuaueng1.dll wucltui.dll wups.dll wups2.dll wuweb.dll
qmgr.dll qmgrprxy.dll wucltux.dll muweb.dll wuwebv.dll) do (
  echo %%f
  %windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %%f
)

echo.
echo.
echo *** Resetting proxy configuration...
netsh winsock reset
netsh winhttp reset proxy

echo.
echo.
echo *** Removing Service Pack uninstall files to increase free disk
space...
dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

echo.
echo.
echo *** DONE ***
echo *** PLEASE REBOOT ***
pause

:END

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*