[OPLINTECH] Ever buy refurbished computers from TechSoup?

Matthew Kinsey matt at guernseycountylibrary.org
Fri Dec 4 12:20:54 EST 2020

I have purchased a couple personally for hobby applications but have not used them at work. In my opinion, in a library they would be best suited for diskless kiosks, digital signage and occasional-use classrooms. Depending on usage patterns and software demands, used might be OK for general public use but I would only entertain that as an austerity measure. At our system we try to adhere to a rolling 4-year refresh cycle and buy new so I usually have some of my own "refurbished" units on hand.

Matthew Kinsey, IT Coordinator, Guernsey County District Public Library

---- On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 11:30:51 -0500 Phil Shirley via OPLINTECH <oplintech at lists.oplin.org> wrote ----

Have you ever bought refurbished computers from TechSoup, and if
      so what did you think?

Have you ever bought refurbished computers at all? I don't think
      I ever have.

I would be a little suspicious of the reliability of refurbished
      equipment, and I would be worried about being able to get a
      quantity (maybe 20 units) of the same kind, or to be able to find
      something that I wanted available when I wanted it. However, the
      prices I see are very attractive.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Phil

Phil Shirley