[OPLINTECH] Cell signal boosters

slewis at worthingtonlibraries.org slewis at worthingtonlibraries.org
Wed Dec 16 10:48:58 EST 2020

In 2019 we installed a WilsonPro 70 Plus<https://www.wilsonpro.com/products/pro-70-plus-75-ohm-booster> cellular amplifier for our larger building, and an Omni directional antenna<https://www.wilsonpro.com/products/4g-omni-building-antenna-50-ohm> in the attic area. Initially we planned to install the antenna on the roof, but after testing we found it worked just as well in the attic area well above the ceiling without having to put a hole in the roof.

We are sort of a perfect use case - we have very good signal outside (about 1 mile from 2 different cell towers (in opposite directions, hence the omnidirectional antenna)), but the basement of the brick building kills signal entirely. A very thick coax cable runs from the antenna down to the amplifier (in our server room where it is protected by a UPS and a natural gas generator for 24/7 reliability), and then similar cables from the amplifier out to three different indoor antennas which are basically access points, mounted to the drop ceiling in specific spots. The cellular coverage works great for all networks that we tried. The range from the access points is less than we had hoped for, but it does work for our purposes.

The building itself is around 42,000 square feet, but the only bad spots are in the basement which is only under a portion of the building. WilsonPro has higher end solutions as well if you need more coverage.

Sam Lewis
Systems Administrator