[OPLINTECH] Cleaning touch screens

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue May 5 14:12:50 EDT 2020

I think perhaps you might reconsider using a vinegar solution to clean your
touchscreens. The acid, even more dilute than the typical 4-7% dilutions
readily available, can apparently damage anti-glare coatings and make touch
screens less sensitive.

Balancing the potential damage to screens versus the frequent disinfecting
(or at least sanitizing) required to combat SARS-CoV-2 can be a little
daunting. Personally, I've taken to simply washing my phone with soap and
water. SARS-CoV-2 is covered with a fatty layer, which is destroyed by
soap. So, as with hand washing, a simple scrubbing should be effective as a
sanitizing method. (Now, my own phone is fully submersible, so I admittedly
sometimes do wash it just for personal amusement at the strange looks I get
from others that happen to be nearby.) I don't necessarily recommend taking
a bucket of soapy water and pouring it over your self checks. (However, if
you do, please take video.) But changing your solution to a simple
soap-and-water solution might be a simple, effective, and cheap way to
combat coronavirus. Use your microfiber cloths, saturate the cloth and ring
it out a bit, then use it to clean the display. I'd suggest using a little
(but reasonable!) amount of pressure when you clean. Your goal is to
destroy/remove viruses, not etch the display.

The soap-and-water concept is the same as for hand washing. Soap breaks the
protective fatty barrier around coronaviruses, killing the cells. If you're
not comfortable solely doing that, then you can probably intersperse
occasional use of chemical sanitizers/disinfectants designed
specifically for screens, which might arguably be a more
guaranteed/effective method, but comes with added cost and possible
availability issues.

An alternate method I've discussed with one of my libraries is to use a
flame thrower. They're apparently legal in Ohio, with the appropriate
county license. However, while apparently effective at disinfecting
screens, it appears that there are...side effects.

Lastly, a disclaimer:  I'm not a virologist and haven't personally tested
and watched as a small percentage of SARS-CoV-2 struggle for their last
heaves of life only to die alone in some isolated petri dish. I'm just
regurgitating stuff I've learned on the internet just like nearly everyone
else and applying some experience and common sense. So, reader, please take
my opinion with the proper grain of salt and apply your own learning,
research and experience when coming up with your preferred sanitizing
method!

*I am no longer responding off-list to topical replies sent only/directly
to me.*
*Perhaps with the exception of public email forums, libraries have a
wonderfully amazing reputation for openness and sharing, a concept I
support and encourage. **Your thoughts are useful and valuable. As always,
I beg you to share them publicly so that other libraries can benefit from
them and participate in a conversation**.*

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*