[OPLINTECH] Help - Altaro?

welchly at herrickliboh.org welchly at herrickliboh.org
Wed May 20 13:16:42 EDT 2020

Hello colleagues,

We are trying to update our servers. Can someone please explain why, if
we buy a "powerful server that runs 2 virtual machines (servers)", we
would need to license a program called Altaro to back up those servers
to a "NAS / Network Attached Storage (external drive)"? (Quotations are
from the proposal we were sent)

Currently we run a script on our PDC (WinServer 2012) that's scheduled
for every night after we close. It backs up to an external drive
in-house. We also have the IT company back up that server to their
remote storage.

We were expecting the new system to back up remotely off-site to our IT
company's servers the way the current one does. This seems very
confusing to me.

Can someone explain (preferably in English not Computer; I have no
network training) why we wouldn't just do the same process (write a
script to back up on a scheduled basis) for the new server? Why do we
need Altaro?

Thank you,

--
Lynne Welch - Herrick Memorial Library of Wellington OH