[OPLINTECH] Policies on how to store passwords

Joe Dusenbery joe at muskingumlibrary.org
Thu Oct 8 15:34:14 EDT 2020

I'll add another positive comment for KeePass as an encrypted password
manager. I have my own personal database for my own credentials and we have
a shared database for shared credentials within my I.T. team. We are
also saving it within Google Drive which makes it super easy to share among
the team. I also use the Android app when I need a password while on the
go. We have not tried any sort of system-wide implementation for all
employees. There are only a handful of people using it, but it works pretty
well.

As far as an official password policy, we do not have one that is specific
for passwords. The best we have is these few lines within our Computer
Network and Internet Acceptable Use Policy:

*Passwords may not be shared or transferred. If an employee suspects that a
password is not secure, he or she must inform the Executive Director or IT
Director immediately. Any improper use of your account, even if you are not
the user, is your responsibility.*

Some of our departments also had similar MS Word documentation with
passwords for shared credentials as well (we also cannot fully eliminate
shared credentials). I have managed to get all passwords removed from
documentation and I have also done my best to stop people from sending
email messages with passwords. But we don't have anything that specifically
forbids writing passwords down. Similarly, all I have is "Joe says you
should/shouldn't do this" sort of a thing.

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph R. Dusenbery, MISST
IT Director