[OPLINTECH] Question regarding long Windows 10 initial logins

Jim Lack j.lack at rrpl.org
Sun Jan 17 23:25:45 EST 2021

Looking for some help here.  We have three Windows 10 computers in our Children's department used at reference desks.  All computers are in the same AD OU.  Approximately 10 Children staff members log into these computers with their own profile.  All staff members are in the same AD OU.  On these three computers, it is taking staff members between 3-5 minutes for their profiles to when they log in for the first time of the day.

Here is the troubleshooting I've done.  Two staff members (A and B) were kind enough to let me use their accounts to test.  What I'm finding out is when A & B log into any of these three computers for the first time of the day, their logins take between 2 to 4 minutes.  Now, if they log out and then log back in, their logins are around 34-36 seconds.  As long as they don't reboot the computers, their subsequent login are in the low 30 second range.  If we reboot or power down and power back up, their logins go back to the 2+ minute range to log in.  I've deleted A & B's profiles from one of the three Children's computers but that doesn't seem to affect the outcome.  As soon as I get a cached profile on the computer, the same thing occurs as mentioned above.

If I log into any of these three computers (I am not a member of the Children's OU), it take less than 30 seconds to log in.  If A or B log into computers outside the Children's OU, initial logins take a little over a minute.  Once their profiles are cached on these other computers, logins take less than 30 seconds.  I thought of moving one of the Children computers out of the Children's OU to see if maybe a group policy might be contributing to the problem but there are other "off floor" computers in the Children's department that the staff log into and they are not experiencing this long login time.  If anyone has some troubleshooting tips I can use to troubleshoot this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jim Lack
Network Manager
Rocky River Public Library
1600 Hampton Rd. Rocky River, OH 44116