[OPLINTECH] Technology for accessibility?

CPL Website website at cpl.org
Thu Sep 23 14:27:00 EDT 2021

Hi Phil,

In terms of setup for your patrons, some suggestions besides what's been mentioned already:

browsers have built-in capabilities like change the default font size of a website's page
in a browser's settings/preferences. Make sure that the browser's settings are configurable by the patron (you may need to reset them daily). Make sure that right click of the mouse is not disabled so users can highlight text (creating contrast) as they read it.
(I personally occasionally do this).

I would try to make sure the physical keyboard functionality/ keys are all enabled; screen reading software like NVDA
and JAWS, heavily rely on keyboard shortcuts and combinations (e.g. 'Insert + F7');
browser's also have the keyboard shortcuts to increase the font size of a webpage's content.

Another consideration for screen reading software that reads the content of webpages aloud
is JAWS, which is more well known among screen reader users although its steadily losing market share to NVDA.
It is not free and a bit costly if I recall.
JAWS and NVDA provide the same functionality for users although they each have their own software quirks/compatibility issues with websites
and different software; some patrons may prefer to one over the other.

Ensure that you have comfortable headphones available for a patron to use with the screen reader.

Lastly, there are headphones that may amplify (this may be what you're referring to) content through an auditorium's PA system
One example is https://www.qsc.com/solutions-products/accessibility/usl-irh-281/
(I do not vouch for this particular model or make, just sharing an example)

Regards,
Will
Cleveland Public Library