[SOA] Fwd: [AALL] Archives Week/Month Directory and Poster Gallery ready for 2006 entries!

Janet Carleton carleton at ohio.edu
Fri Sep 8 10:09:59 EDT 2006

From: "Vicki Walch" <vwalch at statearchivists.org>
To: <COSHRC-L at lists.Maine.edu>,
         "Archives listserv" <archives at listserv.muohio.edu>,
         <archival_leaders at aall.archivists.org>
Subject: [AALL] Archives Week/Month Directory and Poster Gallery ready for
2006 entries!
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:38:14 -0500

It's the season for Archives Week/Month 2006 and we've just finished
updating the Directory of Archives Week/Month activities at
www.statearchivists.org/arc/archweekdir.htm and the Archives Week/Month
poster gallery at www.statearchivists.org/arc/archweekposters.htm.

It's wonderful to see how these celebrations have grown.  CoSA welcomes the
move in 2006 to "American Archives Month" as a way to begin national
coordination of our collective efforts.  We'll all be hearing more from SAA
shortly about American Archives Month.

Whether your institution or organization celebrates for a day, a week, or a
month, it all supports the same fundamental goal: to spread the word that
archival records are important to every aspect of society and that the work
that archivists do is incredibly fulfilling.

We've compiled the information currently in the directory from what we could
find online.  Please send along your announcements, links, and other
information so we can include them too.  And let us know if anything already
there needs correcting!

Also be sure to send an image of your poster if you have one (or several!).
We've broken the Poster Gallery into two sections this year (2005-06 on one
page, 2004 and earlier on a second) because there are now so many wonderful
posters to view.

There are now at least five states that have developed guides to help
repositories organize Archives Week activities: Georgia, New York, North
Carolina, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. Much of the advice they provide is
easily transferred across state lines, so if you're thinking about starting
an Archives Week/Month observance in your repository, you're sure to find
something in one of these to help. See
www.statearchivists.org/arc/archweek.htm#guides.

If you're curious about how Archives Week got started and evolved, you'll
find background sources at www.statearchivists.org/arc/archweekbkgd.htm.  We
may be adding some additional material here from the recent discussion of
Archives Week/Month at SAA's Reference, Access, and Outreach Section
meeting.

Send whatever you'd like to contribute to CoSA staff members Jenifer
Burlis-Freilich (jbfreilich at statearchivists.org) or Vicki Walch
(vwalch at statearchivists.org).

Thanks to everyone involved for your commitment to this important collective
endeavor.
And have a great time spreading the word about the importance of archives!

Vicki

Victoria Irons Walch, Executive Director
Council of State Archivists (CoSA)
65 N Westminster St, Iowa City, IA  52245-3833
Telephone: 319.338.0248   Fax: 319.354.2526
http://www.statearchivists.org/

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

The Archival Association Leadership Listserv (AALL) is co-sponsored by the
Council of State Historical Records Coordinators (COSHRC)
<http://www.coshrc.org> and the Society of American Archivists (SAA)
<http://www.archivists.org>.

Additional information about the list, including terms of participation,
may be found at <http://www.archivists.org/listservs/aall.asp> or at
<http://www.coshrc.org/connections/>.

To unsubscribe, send a request to the list moderator, Jenifer
Burlis-Freilich, at <jbfreilich at coshrc.org>.

Disclaimer: The opinions and views expressed on this listserv and the
information provided by the participants do not necessarily reflect the
opinions, views, or policies of SAA, COSHRC, or other sponsoring
institutions or organizations.

   Janet M. Carleton - <carleton at ohio.edu> - 740/597-2527
Digital Initiatives Coordinator / Women's Studies Bibliographer
      Alden 235A, Ohio University Libraries, Athens, Ohio
              <http://www.library.ohiou.edu/>