[SOA] Contact your Senator on NHPRC funding

Janet Carleton carleton at ohio.edu
Fri Jun 15 09:23:12 EDT 2007

From: "Victoria I Walch" <vwalch at statearchivists.org>
To: archival_leaders at aall.archivists.org, LocalGovt_Archives at lists.maine.edu
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:59:34 +0000
Subject: [AALL] Fwd: ACTION ALERT:  Contact your Senator on NHPRC funding

You may know that the the House of Representatives Subcommitee on Financial
Services and General Government voted to restore $10 million to the federal
budget to fund the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
(NHPRC) ($8 million for grants and $2 million for administrative costs).
Thanks to all of you who faxed or emailed letters to your members of the
House of Representatives to support that action. Our voices were heard, and
make a positive impact. But of course, there is a next step--the Senate.

We understand the Senate may begin their work on mark-up as soon as next
week (the week of June 18, much earlier than last year). It is important
that archivists fax, email, or call the office of your senators as soon as
possible and seek their support of restoring $10 million to NHPRC and $2
million for administrative costs.

If you are in one of the states that has a Senator on the Subcommittee, it
is particularly important for you to rally the support in your state
(Alabama, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New
Jersey, Washington). Contact information is available at
<http://appropriations.senate.gov/financialservices.cfm>http://appropriations.senate.gov/financialservices.cfm
or at
<http://savearchives.pbwiki.com/f/SenateAppropCttee-June2007.doc>http://savearchives.pbwiki.com/f/SenateAppropCttee-June2007.doc.

If you do not have a senator on the subcommittee, please contact your
senators and ask them to call their colleagues, particularly Chairman
Richard Durbin (IL), to urge the restoration of funding.

Guidelines for faxed letters/emails are available at
<http://savearchives.pbwiki.com/Letters>http://savearchives.pbwiki.com/Letters
The National Coalition for History also provides advice on the pending
Senate action and an easy way to send emails at
<http://www.humanitiesadvocacy.org/action_ctr.html>http://www.humanitiesadvocacy.org/action_ctr.html

Your quick action on this couldn't be more important. Please send a copies
of your letters to me so we can track them

Thank you!

Vicki Walch
Council of State Archivists
<mailto:vwalch at statearchivists.org>vwalch at statearchivists.org
319-338-0248

Democratic Subcommittee Members:
Senator Richard Durbin (Chairman) (IL)
Senator Patty Murray (WA)
Senator Mary Landrieu (LA)
Senator Frank Lautenberg (NJ)
Senator Ben Nelson (NE)

Republican Subcommittee Members:
Senator Sam Brownback (Ranking Member) (KS)
Senator Christopher Bond (MO)
Senator Richard Shelby (AL)
Senator Wayne Allard (CO)

   Janet M. Carleton - <carleton at ohio.edu> - 740/597-2527
Digital Initiatives Coordinator / Women's Studies Bibliographer
      Alden 235A, Ohio University Libraries, Athens, Ohio
              <http://www.library.ohiou.edu/>