[SOA] Ohio History Day

Angela O'Neal aoneal at ohiohistory.org
Sun Apr 26 21:03:50 EDT 2009

On Saturday, 580 students in grades 6-12 competed in the 2009 Ohio History Day event at Columbus State Community College.  Additionally, over 60 fourth and fifth graders competed in our second Youth Division.  Students presented exhibits, performances, documentaries, web sites and papers related to this year's theme: The Individual in History: Actions and Legacies.

Later in the afternoon at the Palace Theater, 55 students were announced as the Ohio Delegation to National History Day.  Those students will compete at the National History Day competition June 14-18th at the University of Maryland in College Park.
Two projects were awarded Society of Ohio Archivists Awards for best use of primary sources. They were:

Senior Division: Jacob Miller, Jack O'Halloran, Nathaniel Henry, Leo Katz, Isaac Hoffman, Shaker Heights High School. "Tom Johnson: Progressive Reform for the Common Man".

Junior Division: Theresa Rager and Quentin Ullrich, Mercy Montessori Center. "Dr. Albert B. Sabin's Actions in Leaving a Legacy of Health."

Special thanks to SOA members who judged the awards: Charlie Arp, George Bain, Janet Carleton, and Laurie Gemmill. I presented the awards to the students in the afternoon and I can tell you that they were all very excited.

A complete list of award winners is attached. Also, I just want to note that this is my ninth year judging History Day and I saw more projects use sources from Ohio's archives and libraries than ever before. Many students also interviewed archivists, librarians and curators about their topics. It is a testament to the strength of our archival programs and staff that we continue to see these programs grow despite tough economic times. Congratulations to everyone who participated in History Day!

Sincerely,

Angela

Angela O'Neal
Manager, Preservation and Access Services
(614) 297-2576
www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/ <http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/>

OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY   Connect with the past. Create a better future.